Without Trader Joe's, who am I?

I started out so strong with this whole blogging thing and then really dropped the ball. Pole sana (very sorry) to everyone who has been desperately awaiting my insights from this side of the world. The past couple of months have been crazy busy (and will continue to be crazy until September). My brain has been on overload since June trying to take everything in, learn all I can, and try to speak some Kiswahili on top of that. Luckily, my students, the school staff, and my new pals have all been super gracious and patient with me. You should've seen me trying to explain what a marshmallow is to a bunch of students who had never seen one before. I got frustrated with myself and gave up after "sticky, fluffy sugar."
Although I still have a lot to learn, I've definitely come a long way since you last heard from me. I had my first water-borne illness, so I'm officially a member of the Tanzanian community. In addition, I've gotten to the point where my greetings and my red-dirt-stained shoes/feet/ankles make me seem like I somewhat belong here. I've been told twice in the past week that I have "beautiful swahili" when little do they know, once we get past basic greetings, I just make sounds or say yes/okay/thank you until the conversation ends. Honestly, who knows what I've been agreeing to lately. I found some great YouTube videos to help teach me Kiswahili though, so I haven't completely lost hope in having conversation here. So, to all the local people who told me I would "learn in two months," I'm going to need to ask for a bit of an extension on that one. Pole sana.
I don't know if it's because I'm starting to understand and speak more, or just that I've grown more comfortable, but I've really started to love where I'm living. There are lots of elements that make this place a little more home-y. Last week, my mom sent me a care package in the luggage of a visitor from Kansas City full of chocolate and licorice and reminders of home (including KC bbq sauce). We have hard drives stocked with movies and TV shows for times when the internet doesn't feel like streaming Netflix. There's an endless supply of novels between the expat group, so there's always something to read while lounging in my hammock. Lastly, there's a great community of expats here that make each week better by constantly lending an empathetic ear and always being down for a game of cards. Despite all that, I still feel like a visitor. One of our volunteers just left for home and it was a weird feeling to think that I'm here for the long haul. I don't know when the next time I'll be back in the states will be. At the same time, I'm coming to realize that I'm not sure I'm ever going to feel truly at home here. There is never going to be a time when I "fit in." Sure, the dada at the grocery store and the occasional person on the street recognizes me, but any time I'm walking to/from work or in the market or in town, I'm a spectacle not a local. There are times that it's frustrating, obviously, but it's also just a part of being one of the ten white people that live here in town full time. You just have get used to the staring.
Aside from physically not belonging, there are significant pieces of my life thus far that I don't necessarily have access to here. There isn't a local concert venue where I can go see my favorite bands, as opposed to living in LA and having live music on every block. There isn't a Trader Joe's that I can just pop in and pick up microwave orange chicken and chocolate coconut almonds. There isn't a lap pool that I can go to and block out the world until my fingers are pruney. There isn't a Mexican restaurant that I can go to and properly celebrate every Taco Tuesday. (Speaking of Taco Tuesday, I can't even explain the magnificence of a perfect fish taco to people here because "taco" is the Kiswahili word for ass. I spent a good 3 weeks telling students at school that tacos were my favorite food. Imagine my mortification when I discovered why they were always giggling when I said I loved tacos.) Without concerts, Trader Joe's, swimming, and Mexican food, who am I really? (I'm just playin', but you signed up for my thoughts, so there they are. I just thought this blog needed a little more drama.)
BUT aside from the whole being an outsider thing and missing a few key pieces of my soul, Tanzania is incredible. The stars out here are insane. There's just so much to see and experience. Being able to walk to work is one of my favorite parts of my job, even if that means arriving at school in a coat of dust during the dry season. It's nice to walk through town every day and see what's hip and happenin'. Sometimes we see giraffes and zebras while driving to our secondary school which will never cease to amaze me. I got to go on an actual safari in Tarangire the other day and see all kinds of creatures which left me in awe of this country I get to live in. In town, I can hop on the back of a motorcycle and get anywhere I need to go for fifty cents. My produce is straight from a local's farm (farm to table if you will) and my other grocery expenses are next to nothing (unless you want fancy cereal, then you've gotta pay the big bucks). I love our bi-monthly market in town which sells everything that doesn't get sold at the Salvation Army in the states and gets shipped over here. It's also been helpful in teaching me the sacred art of haggling to get the local price. Additionally, the food is great, the people are fabulous, and the weather isn't bad. Overall, I'm really really enjoying myself.
Sure there are things that are difficult, I moved from the beaches of Malibu to the red dirt roads of Karatu, but any post-grad transition will come with it's unique set of challenges. At least here I can escape by hiding out in a safari lodge for an afternoon, seeing how the other half lives and eating phenomenal food. Plus, my job is so stinking cool. I get to hang out with a bunch of goons and brag about them all day. I get to write letters and work social media. I get to meet people from all over the world who want to help our students (and help find me a boyfriend). I get to harvest mosquito larva with our Form 2 students for their Project Based Learning course. I get to interact with some of the kindest humans every single day and I get paid for it. To quote a picture I think I saw on Tumblr or MySpace once, "do what you love and love what you do" AM I RIGHT?
These two months have really been teaching me a lot. Obviously, I'm learning an entire new language, but also an entirely new culture. A culture that places such a high emphasis on initial greetings and small talk. A culture that apologizes when you appear to be exerting any kind of energy. A culture that isn't type A. A culture that takes the hoods off sweatshirts and wears them as hats. A culture that I'm adapting to and learning from. It's just bizarre to think how different my life would be right now if I had accepted a job in LA or DC rather than TZ. I probably wouldn't be re-learning how to cook. Going on Pinterest for recipes now just makes me sad because 9 times out of 10, I either don't have the proper kitchen equipment or the proper ingredients out here to make the meal. Sorry that I can't find quinoa in the middle of rural Tanzania. I have a stove-top with two burners and that's about it, so I've been stir-frying veggies for basically every meal. We generally don't cook meat, so my main foods are eggs, pasta, rice, tomatoes, potatoes, green peppers, cucumber, avocado, corn, chick peas, onions, garlic, yogurt, cheese (sometimes), milk, bread, and kidney beans. So if you have any recipes you want to share that have any combination of those ingredients, holla at your girl. I could use some new dinners.
I'll try to be better about keeping you all in the loop with my life. Sorry for being so scatterbrained, it's been a whirlwind since I arrived. Thank you all for your continued love, support, and prayers. It's been really cool to have people rooting for me from all over the world. You guys are extraordinary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Older, A Year Wiser

I made it!!

Shikamoo/Mambo/Hujambo/Hello/Habari