Shikamoo/Mambo/Hujambo/Hello/Habari

All that to say, HEY!
It’s only been about a week and a half that I’ve been living here in Africa and it feels like it’s been an eternity. I have been learning a lot about existence here in Karatu and making a lot of new friends while simultaneously trying to learn a new language and go to work every day. Something I learned very quickly is that this is not a place for introverts (or stubborn individualists like myself). Greeting every person you see on the street isn’t just the norm, but is a sign of respect. And when I say “greet”, I mean you basically say hello 7 times in 7 different ways. It’s been a huge adjustment from just smiling at the people who pass by. For someone who is not an extraordinary small talker, this has been massively challenging. On the other hand, it has been a joy to meet so many new people and make new friends. They are all extremely kind and their English is very good which is EXTREMELY helpful for me. The staff and leaders of Tumaini welcomed me into their family very quickly. This school and all their work is amazing. (Shameless plug – check out Tanzania-schools.org, consider sponsoring a student or donating)
Aside from all that, there have been many other interesting experiences this past week. There was an Earthquake on Monday that wasn’t extreme, but startled me while I was working nonetheless. Then another catastrophe, our toilet started pouring out of the bottom whenever you flush, so we’ve been using a neighbor’s toilet for a week because the fundi (repairman) has been dodging us. Let me tell ya, it’s not ideal. Then, it started pouring rain the other night (which is odd because it’s not rainy season anymore) and because of our tin roofs, it sounded like our home was being ambushed. Needless to say, Nyota and I didn’t sleep very well. (Nyota is our cat, she’s a basket case.) Also, in regards to the tin roof, I’ve had about 7 mini heart attacks due to apples falling onto our roof from a tree above it. It’s terrifying, especially right as I begin to fall asleep. On top of all that, it’s freezing, aka it’s about 55 degrees in the mornings and 70s during the day, so getting out of my blanket cocoon in the mornings is impossible. California summer did not prepare me for 50 degree mornings with cold stone floors. But, alas, I am adapting. Mainly because all the locals keep making fun of me for saying that I’m cold.
In other news, we have these security guards that patrol the grounds we live on and watch our homes for us. Three things about these men, and the reasons they are relevant enough to include in my blog. First, they patrol very close to the house and walk directly next to my bedroom window which has caused panic both when I am falling asleep and when I am changing clothes. (I learned quickly to keep my curtains closed). Second, one of them has forgotten that people live in these homes he’s looking after and has decided to sing while he patrols. He’s not the best, but also not the worst, so I can’t complain too much. Third, they are sneaky, sneaky. There have been nights that we’ve come home past dark (7 PM) and they’ll be walking towards us and I won’t see them or hear them until the last minute when they appear in the light of my headlamp. It’s terrifying.  But, gotta love em because they’re keeping me safe.
It’s taken me a while to adjust to life here, a lot longer than I anticipated which had me pretty freaked out for most of last week. However, as I’ve started to work more, rest up, and get on more of a schedule, the transition has gotten easier. Living as an ex-pat can be extremely lonely and definitely difficult, but I fortunately have been given a lot of advice and support from a friend of mine who was an ex-pat in Jinja, Uganda and is now in Singapore. It’s helpful to have resources like her to help me understand that struggling doesn’t make me weak or crazy, it just means I’m learning. However, having a phone and data is also helping so I can keep in contact with my pals at home. Luckily, they’re good at making things feel more normal. (Thank you) I’ve also found peace in journaling and praying and listening to my Spotify while I work, which thankfully works out here. (Also it’s hard to keep up with new music out here, so please send me new music that you think I would like) (!!!!) (via FB messenger or WhatsApp, iMessage isn’t great out here).
Thank you everyone for your love, prayers, and support. I am so grateful to have so many people back home rooting for me.
If you want to reach me, feel free to message me on social media, or if you want to send me a letter (not packages) just message me and I can give you my address.

Lots of love from Karatu!!!!

Comments

  1. Ih Kathrine - du har også virkeligt valgt at udfordre alle dine sanser, ved at rejse til en verden hvor alting, lugte, smage, sprog og sociale koder må være væsentligt anderledes end hvad du kender. Det kommer til at give dig SÅ meget ballast og erfaring og styrke og det er så fedt at få lov til at følge med i. Varme tanker fra os alle 5 her i Fredensborg!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Older, A Year Wiser

I made it!!