Simple Splendor

I guess sporadic blogging is the best I can hope for here, so my apologies that I'm not more consistent. Most days, when I'm away from work, I find myself wanting to be anywhere but behind my computer. However, I made a promise that I would post an update, so here we go.

I'm still living in Northern Tanzania, approaching my 8th month of living in a constant whirl of chaos and comfort where some days things are hard to comprehend and some days things are hard to communicate, but every day I'm growing a little more confident. Intercultural communication is rough and my Kiswahili isn't amazing, so there's definitely still room for improvement. However, for the time being, this is my home and it's about time it started feeling like it.

I left East Africa for the first time since my arrival in December for my holiday. The meltdown I had when I stepped off the plane into the mayhem that was Amsterdam's airport at Christmastime was comparable to the meltdown I had when I got to hug my mom for the first time in 6 months. What a woman. It was a little surreal being out of Tanzania and my home of red dirt roads and camel spiders. I was living a life of luxury. I was sleeping on a bed that wasn't made of foam. I was eating enough cheese to single handedly fund all of Italy. I was soaking in hot tubs and taking warm showers. For 3 weeks, I was living large.

Needless to say, being back in Denmark was fabulous. There was a great peace that came with being with my family and in a country I love so much. FaceTime and WhatsApp make intercontinental communication a breeze, don't get me wrong, but it definitely isn't the same as being together and laughing together in the same room.

We spent a lot of time traveling and showing my sister's boyfriend around Denmark which was really incredible. What Denmark lacks in size, they make up for in history, culture, and hot dogs. We were seeing something new every day of the trip. However, the December rainy weather and short days mandated that we participate in the phenomenon of "hygge". I was miserably cold, so I spent a decent amount of time by the fire or curled up in a blanket on the couch playing games or watching movies. We all got particularly invested in a baking competition that was on TV during the holidays. Leave it to a cooking show to be the bridge between all of our cultures.

On one hand, I was really grateful to be experiencing such grandeur, but on the other hand, I really missed the simple splendor of life in Karatu. When I arrived in Amsterdam, I stopped to order a cup of tea before continuing on to Copenhagen. The poor woman taking my order must have thought I was delusional as I stared in amazement at all the options and spent upwards of 15 minutes trying to figure out which of the 27 flavors was closest to "normal". Additionally, I had ZERO self control when it came to food. I think I gained around 7 kilos because I was eating so indulgently. I was out of control. By the end of the trip, I was definitely ready to be home in Tanzania.

There were times when being out of East Africa was particularly frustrating. My sister's constant need for wi-fi (sorry for the call-out, sis, love ya) really stressed me out. There was also a very interesting lack of manners and respect. I'd like to believe that I was raised to be very polite and respectful and that the culture I'm in here in Tanzania also emphasizes a certain respect and consideration for others. It was baffling to me the blatant disregard people had toward one another. Being courteous and well mannered is not that hard, people.

Additionally, the ways people viewed the life I lived was a bit harsh. I live in a developed area. I have internet and electricity, running water and a toilet. I eat french fries and pizza like everyone else... with Mayonnaise (special shout out to the Karatu crew for enlightening me on the magnificence that is mayo). I lead a fairly standard life that just happens to include a giraffe sighting on the way to work every so often. The people I work with are not "sad" and my students are not "poor kids", they're incredible people that are constantly teaching me and challenging me to be a better human. The Tanzanian narrative is one of joy and hard work and I'm grateful to be a part of it.

Currently, I have no intentions in moving back to the US any time soon. I haven't returned since I left in June and aside from longing for Chick-Fil-A, I don't really miss it. My daily news email is enough to keep me from being homesick. However, I will be back in the states in June because MY BEST FRIEND IS GETTING MARRIED!!!!, but then I'll be returning to work here. As always, you are more then welcome to write me letters or come and visit me here!

Until next time,
Kathrine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Older, A Year Wiser

I made it!!

Shikamoo/Mambo/Hujambo/Hello/Habari